Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: xterm

From: pc () pyramid com (pc () pyramid com)
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1993 17:21:44 -0800 (PST)

The reason I ask.

Scenario: I remotely start an xterm to your server, after first setting my uid
to your uid (i can do this on *my* end since i have root).
I set the xterm logfile to be ~home/.rhost. Thus adding a line or more to your
.rhost file. xterm in most cases uses unix_auth.

I can then login. One step closer to root ;^).

Please tell me I'm wrong.

You are wrong.  Unless I already have a .rhosts entry or your host is in
my hosts.equiv file, you would not be able to start up a remote xterm.
And if you were able to start a remote xterm, you would be able to simply
rlogin, so using the logging feature of xterm wouldn't get you anything
you didn't already have.

pc
--
      -m---------    Patrick Connor           Pyramid Technology