Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Metrics for Ethical Hack

From: Vic Vandal <vvandal () well com>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2014 12:30:53 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Monika,

There are tools that will run 20,000-30,000 multi-threaded string attacks on an entire crawled website within a couple
of hours.  How fast can you type web requests and analyze web responses in comparison? (heh)

You also wrote "review code" in your message.  If you're reviewing source code, how fast can you read and interpret
thousands and thousands of lines of code and compare it to say a dozen common coding mistakes, versus how fast an
automated tool can do the same?

There really is no comparison.  The tool always wins by a mile in the amount of time taken.  But the automated tool
will also always have some limitations, and deep manual testing by a true expert can often find a few things that 9 out
of 10 automated tools won't.  But the automated tools will still find a lot, where a lot of issues exist.

Sorry I didn't provide any actual metrics as requested.  But if you do the math on that first sentence you can see that
it's at least weeks of efforts versus mere hours.  If you have one website to audit maybe that's not a big deal.  If
you have a dozen or a hundred websites that you need to audit every few months (or twice a year or whatever) then the
usage of automated tools is the only way to accomplish the task.  You simply can't clone yourself to try to match the
processing power of the machine.  And even if you could clone yourself or hire tons of staff, what's the cost
comparison then?  Also does your capability and experience match that of the tool developers?

Food for thought.

-Vic