Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Fake Security Certificate

From: "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamilton () acm org>
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2014 08:37:54 -0700

This will depend on your local law.  In the United States, for example, employer-provided e-mail is under the control
of the employer.  Although there has been movement to have employers disclose exactly what the privacy and security
arrangements are, I do not know how well that is practiced in any legal jurisdiction.

My best advice is (1) do not use that password for anything else, and (2) don't use the office email for personal and
especially private matters.

Next, find a polite way to determine whether the redirection is a matter of business policy and is known to the
management.  That is, the system administrator has the authority to do this and the practice is known.  I would be
careful and not assume automatically that this is unauthorized.  But it does have security implications for the
company.

A place to start might be to raise your concern about the certificate discrepancy at the redirected site.  It is not
necessarily "fake," just not done properly.  Browser messages tend to be over-reaching, but the warning of a possible
hazard should be of concern.

 -- Dennis E. Hamilton
    dennis.hamilton () acm org    +1-206-779-9430
    https://keybase.io/orcmid  PGP F96E 89FF D456 628A