Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: cloud back up

From: Matthew Caron <Matt.Caron () redlion net>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2014 08:22:16 -0500

On 01/17/2014 09:37 AM, Peter Odigie wrote:
Hello all!

Please, I will like a recommendation for a security conscious cloud
back up service. Also, one that I can easily migrate from when I want
to.

I've found most backup providers to be too expensive. I have about 2TB of data to be backed up, so I just do two hard drives, one in an onsite fireproof safe and another offsite (friend's house, safe deposit box, etc.)

You also might consider setting up a cheap box at a friend's house, and having your friend do the same.

If you don't have all that much data to back up, you could just use a USB stick that you carry around in your pocket.

But, to more directly answer your question, I set up my own, hosting through linode (https://www.linode.com/), and then you can set up whatever services you want (I'm partial to Rsync).
--
Matthew Caron, Software Build Engineer
Red Lion Controls | www.redlion.net

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how
it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase,
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1