Security Basics mailing list archives

nmap smb-brute questions

From: ToddAndMargo <ToddAndMargo () zoho com>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2013 18:31:57 -0700

Hi All,

In the following "#" is my command prompt for "root".

I have been testing a script called "smb-brute":
    http://nmap.org/nsedoc/scripts/smb-brute.html

I have some confusion.  On the web page, there are two
examples:

     nmap --script smb-brute.nse -p445 <host>
     sudo nmap -sU -sS --script smb-brute.nse -p U:137,T:139 <host>

When I look at my /etc/services, I get the following smb
services:

      netbios-ns      137/tcp  # NETBIOS Name Service
      netbios-ns      137/udp
      netbios-dgm     138/tcp  # NETBIOS Datagram Service
      netbios-dgm     138/udp
      netbios-ssn     139/tcp  # NETBIOS session service
      netbios-ssn     139/udp
      microsoft-ds    445/tcp
      microsoft-ds    445/udp

Question 1):  Why is the example only checking UDP:137,
and TCP:139?  Ports 137,138,139,445 are all using both
UDP and TCP according to /etc/services.  Is the example
not meant to be a good example?

When I scan my KVM Windows Frankenstein (w8) virtual machine,
I get back:

   # nmap --script smb-brute.nse  -p 137,138,139,445 192.168.255.116
   PORT    STATE  SERVICE
   137/tcp closed netbios-ns
   138/tcp closed netbios-dgm
   139/tcp open   netbios-ssn
   445/tcp open   microsoft-ds

But when I scan the ports directly without the script, I
get back:

   # nmap --reason -Pn -p 137,138,139,445 192.168.255.116
   PORT    STATE    SERVICE      REASON
   137/tcp filtered netbios-ns   no-response
   138/tcp filtered netbios-dgm  no-response
   139/tcp filtered netbios-ssn  no-response
   445/tcp filtered microsoft-ds no-response

Question 2): why is one "closed and open" and the other
one "filtered"?  How is it that the script can find open
ports and the direct command can not?

Question 3): on the first above scan, had it found any or
broke any hashes, would it have told me?

On the following command, I also get back:
   # nmap --script smb-brute.nse  -p 137,138,139,445 192.168.255.116
   Host script results:
   | smb-brute:
   |   administrator:<blank> => Valid credentials, account disabled
   |_  guest:<blank> => Valid credentials, account disabled

Question 4): does the "Valid credentials, account disabled" mean
the script could not break in?

Many thanks,
-T

--
Computers are like air conditioners.

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how
it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase,
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1