Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: nmap Discover others question

From: Ansgar Wiechers <bugtraq () planetcobalt net>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2013 18:02:14 +0200

On 2013-09-23 ToddAndMargo wrote:
On 2013-09-22 ToddAndMargo wrote:
If they are connected though a "route" command, would they not show
up anyway?

That question doesn't make any sense. The "route" command sets or
displays routes, i.e. next-hop destinations for packets. It doesn't
"connect" anything.

I think I was not clear in how I asked the question. This is the
"route" command I am speaking of.  And, it "does" connect two
different network together. Note the "ADD" command in the example.

   1) open a DOS prompt in Windows:

It's a command prompt, not a "DOS prompt". CMD.EXE doesn't have anything
to do with DOS.

   2) enter "route /?"
      Manipulates network routing tables.
      ROUTE [-f] [-p] [command [destination]
         [MASK netmask]  [gateway] [METRIC metric]  [IF interface]
      Examples:
         > route ADD 157.0.0.0 MASK 255.0.0.0  157.55.80.1 METRIC 3 IF 2
             destination^      ^mask      ^gateway     metric^    ^
                                                         Interface^

I'm well aware of the syntax of the "route" command shipped with
Windows as well as what it actually does, thank you very much.

Your example command defines that packets with a destination address
in the network range 157.0.0.0/8 should be passed via interface 2 to a
next hop (or "gateway") with the address 157.55.80.1. However, if the
host where you defined that route cannot (directly) reach the gateway
(or the gateway cannot forward the packets for some reason), the remote
network will be unreachable. IOW if they aren't already connected,
setting a route won't change anything about that.

So, if someone on a different network is using the "route" command
to connect to your network, will they show up?

There is no simple answer to that question. Too many factors could
influence the outcome (physical connectivity, routing tables on
intermediate routers, packet filters, etc.).

Regards
Ansgar Wiechers
--
"All vulnerabilities deserve a public fear period prior to patches
becoming available."

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how
it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase,
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1