Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: how to find vulnerabilities in a freeware software

From: psiinon <psiinon () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2013 09:41:16 +0100

Hi Shiva,

What sort of applications are you talking about?
And written in what languages?

As you have access to the source you can use static source code
analysis tools, but which ones will depend on the languages used.

If they are web applications then you can also use web application
vulnerability scanners.
There are lots of those, but not too surprisingly I'd recommend OWASP
ZAP: https://www.owasp.org/index.php/OWASP_Zed_Attack_Proxy_Project
(I'm the ZAP project lead)

Cheers,

Simon