Security Basics mailing list archives

nmap root vs user question

From: ToddAndMargo <ToddAndMargo () zoho com>
Date: Fri, 04 Oct 2013 14:29:18 -0700

Hi All,

"#" is my "root" prompt and "$" is my user prompt.

Question: why does namp sometimes work as root
and not as a user?  Why no warning that a command
has to be run as root?

This works as root:
     # nmap -p T:5020,5900 192.168.202.210
     Starting Nmap 6.40 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2013-10-04 14:25 PDT
     Nmap scan report for 192.168.202.210
     Host is up (0.00063s latency).
     PORT     STATE    SERVICE
     5020/tcp filtered zenginkyo-1
     5900/tcp filtered vnc

Same command does not work as a user:
     $ nmap  -p T:5020,5900 192.168.202.210
     Starting Nmap 6.40 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2013-10-04 14:25 PDT
     Note: Host seems down. If it is really up, but blocking our
           ping probes, try -Pn

Many thanks,
-T

--
Computers are like air conditioners.

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how
it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase,
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1