Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Manipulate PDFs with Malware

From: David Gillett <gillettdavid () fhda edu>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 17:42:15 +0000

  If I recall correctly the structure of PDF files, elements contained in the file are easily overridden by appending a
new value for the (specified) element.  So the challenges really are (a) to identify the element to be overridden (and
if this is a form, the attacker might only have to do that once for all instances of that form...), and (b) possibly,
to hide the fact that the size of the file as opened is slightly larger than the size advertised by the host it was
downloaded from.
  Tricky, perhaps, and I don't actually know of malware that does this -- but it doesn't sound impossible to me.

David Gillett
CISSP CCNP