Security Basics mailing list archives

Safety of using Bluetooth/IR keyboard

From: Syn Ack <synackackack () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2013 05:21:00 +0000

Hi list,

My question is about the safety of using Bluetooth/IR keyboards. I
currently have two keyboards hooked up to my PC, a wired PS/2 keyboard
and a Bluetooth keyboard. The wired PS/2 keyboard sole purpose is for
typing passwords.

I am wondering whether this is a valid concern or not, the likeliness
of this type of attack being used. I've not read any cases of this
attack being used and do not hear much at all about Bluetooth keyboard
sniffing. Maybe I haven't researched extensively enough.

Perhaps it is less of an issue in a house but given the example of an
apartment block, I would imagine this risk is much more valid. Are the
signals of a Bluetooth keyboard encrypted, or if you could build a
replica receiver, would it be trivial to 'sniff' the keyboard?

I have only heard of one application, keyriki [1].

[1] - http://www.remote-exploit.org/articles/keykeriki_v1_0_-_27mhz/

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how
it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase,
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1