Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Bank Of Montreal Online Security

From: "Alexander A. Kelner" <a.kelner () noc brsi ru>
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2012 00:49:23 +0400 (MSK)

Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2012 09:26:30 -0500
From: Dave Kleiman <dave () davekleiman com>
To: "security-basics () securityfocus com" <security-basics () securityfocus com>
Subject: RE: Bank Of Montreal Online Security

Alexander,

    >>> Which password length is more secure - that is a question.<<<

If you used the above statement, just as you typed it, as your password
(passphrase), would it not both much stronger than 6 characters and very
easy to remember?

Hi Dave!

Yes, it's very easy to remember, but I think this method for password
setting is not as strong as it may appears :-)

The phrase "Which password length is more secure - that is a question"
contains not 58 "random chars", but 11 only, because each word must be
considered as a single symbol in the vocabulary, say for brute force attack.

There is a strong corelation between the chars inside of the words if these
words are taken from our lexicon.  So, these characters should not be
considered independent. Yes, this password is long but it is not too random,
and so it is not too secure.

Moreover there may be found efficient heuristics when you try to attack
passwords like human speech sentences due to existing correlation between
words inside of such sentences and due to quite deterministic structure of
sentences.

If you bring some order (the way for easy memorizing) into your password
you decrease it's strength.

Well, and now try to type above phrase in invisible mode and don't make
mistake :-)

Though, IMHO six chars passwords are too short. I like at least 8 :-)

Respectfully,

Dave Kleiman - http://www.ComputerForensicsLLC.com - http://www.computerforensicsexpertwitnesses.com

4371 Northlake Blvd #314
Palm Beach Gardens, FL 33410