Security Basics mailing list archives

Transaction Monitoring vs Malware

From: hellkyng () gmail com
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2012 20:55:37 GMT

I've currently been looking at some transaction monitoring solutions to monitor bank transactions like wires. It looks
like the majority of these solutions rely on artifacts obtained during a malicious transaction. Specifically items like
unusual IP address, unusual dollar amounts, unusual recpients, unusual transactions times.

Its also readily apparent that malware has begun adapting to these solutions, with things like ATS and other advanced
fraud mechanisms. My question to this group is, do you still see value in transaction monitoring solutions for
financial institutions?

It seems like the more valuable solutions are those that detect malware in a browser through behavioral mechanisms. For
example I believe Trusteer and PrevX have compelling solutions in this field right now.

Is transaction monitoring a solution that had value three years ago, but in todays threat landscape is a pointless
"layer"?

Thanks for any advice.

Helly

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how
it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase,
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1