Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Web site defacement technics

From: "Littlefield, Tyler" <tyler () tysdomain com>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2012 10:52:26 -0600

On 5/10/2012 2:54 AM, a bv wrote:
Hi,

What are the web site defacement methods? Is there web application
vulnerabilities which you can change the web site or network
pentesting methods and exploiting the web server and uploading new
pages work?

Hello:
I am by no means an expert, but I'll try to give you as much as I know.

First, the attack vector sort of depends on the website or application; this means that there isn't exactly a one-method-fits-all solution.

If the website is a cms or somehow pulls it's content from a database, you will need to: 1) Either get access to the database server--it is kind of surprising how many servers have an open sql port you can play with.
2) Use an sql injection or another method to change the content.

If the pages are static, then you will need to find a way to get access to the actual server, either through ftp or by another means.

HTH,

regards

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how
it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase,
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1