Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: How to prevent zero day attacks

From: Memory Vandal <memvandal () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2012 22:16:37 +0530

Most people think of only defensive ways to protect. One must think
how can the system be broken offensively and fix the holes found.
Clearly, most implementers dont have any offensive experience as they
think only to plug holes they know of.

How about a 0day in the sandbox created to prevent a 0day scenario in
an application? Lower user privileges? the payload would run with
lower priviledge and still may be able to read user files (like stored
on desktop, my docs), log keystrokes and post data. IDS? you already
got 0wned and lost some data, now make signatures asap before the
fingerprint of malware change. Heuristics? arms race, malware writers
bypass algorithms, antivirus product make new algorithms to detect
bypass, malware writers bypass the bypass detection algorithms.

and its too difficult to protect targeted attacks with generalized
defense mechanisms.

MemoryVandal

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how
it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase,
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1