Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Tool to find rouge wireless access points?

From: Marcus Adams <marcus.adams () virtuesecurity com>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2012 19:15:30 -0400

Hi Jon,

Wired detection of rogue APs has two possible downsides. The first is
that you are simply relying on the MAC address in use to be authentic.
This can be easily modified by most home routers. The second is that
even when you do detect a rogue AP via MAC address, you may not know
where the device actually exists (depends on your network).

Doing an actual wireless war walk is the only sure way to root out any
rogue access points. The best way to do this is with something like
airodump. I also recommend using an external wifi card to get the best
signal reading possible. If you play around with it enough, you will
see its pretty easy to consistently get within a few feet of any
access point. You should just ensure you are scanning a/b/g/n bands
and also watch for APs with non-broadcasting ESSIDs.

In addition to doing war walks, you may also want to evaluate a WIDS
that can monitor, triangulate, and alert in real time if rogue access
points crop up.

Good Luck!
Marcus