Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: DLP books, resources

From: Thugzclub <thugzclub () googlemail com>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 16:11:13 +0100

Lol at shameless promo!

Care to share it with us? Purely for a peer review purposes ;-)...

On 28 Mar 2012, at 15:42, Vic Vandal <vvandal () well com> wrote:

I sincerely don't mean to stoop to shameless self promotion, but if you can make it to CarolinaCon-8 in May you can
see this presentation (abstract below) that will cover some generally unknown and un-discussed details of DLP
implementations.  You could also talk to me about it before or after the presentation, whenever I'm not busy with
other staff tasks.

Name or handle/alias:
Vic Vandal

Presentation name/title:
Inside Jobs: Stealing Sensitive Data and Intellectual Property

Topic abstract:
This talk discusses the dirty world of insider data theft, touching on the areas of;
- the psychology of those who attempt it and why they do it
- how data theft is generally accomplished
- quick review of a few real-world data breach incidents
- percentage of organizations that have robust controls against information theft
- strengths and weaknesses of leading-edge prevention technologies (how data thieves get caught and/or how they get
away with it)
- what major improvements must be made in prevention technologies before any organization can honestly say that they
are protected

Those last two bullets are where the real value is, in my opinion.  I'd offer a copy of the slides but I haven't
started on them yet.  If you can't make it to the Con ping me for a link to them after the event.  There's a lot to
say about DLP that I can't fit into that talk of course.  But I'm certain that I'd never find the time to write a
book on that (or any other) topic.

-Vic