Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: RDP over the internet

From: Ansgar Wiechers <bugtraq () planetcobalt net>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2012 19:52:28 +0100

On 2012-03-19 Dan Lynch wrote:
New vulnerabilities will be discovered every now and then. Duh. The
question is: do they get fixed in a timely manner?

The fact is that "open port" is a potential attack vector because a
vulnerability may be discovered in the application.

I'm sorry to have to break this to you, but as long as you're using
TCP/IP you need an open port if you want to be able to establish a
connection.

But it's clear that *any* open port represents additional risk. If
that open port is not required for the function of the system (as
terminal services/RDP generally is not), it's an unnecessary risk
(however convenient it might be). And that risk is compounded if that
port is running by necessity with system level permissions, and
offering up a login screen that people use with their admin
credentials. Also, terminal services is dependent on the loading of
yet another service: RPC.

For these reasons, I don't believe the concern expressed over exposing
RDP to the internet is "a massive generalisation". I think that
concern is clearly justified.

Indeed. And I didn't write anything about "massive generalisation". I
did, however, want to point out that one newly discovered vulnerability
is no proof whatsoever for a claim about unpatched vulnerabilities.

RDP is not of the same risk level as, say NTP.

I'd argue that the complexity of VPN (or SSH) services is closer to RDP
than to NTP, though. ;)

And if, when we point out that risk, CEOs then see security officers
as "the enemy", it's because the security folks have failed to (1)
account for the value in the convenience offered by things like RDP,
(2) reasonably evaluate that value against the risk, and (3) consider
what actions, configurations and technologies are available to
mitigate the risk.

No argument there. And FTR: personally I do prefer using RDP through
encrypted tunnels, even though RDP itself is an encrypted protocol.

Regards
Ansgar Wiechers
--
"All vulnerabilities deserve a public fear period prior to patches
becoming available."

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how
it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase,
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1