Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Password cracking

From: Greg Merideth <gmerideth () uclnj com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2012 15:48:11 +0000

We have a simple hasher we use for hashing non-salted guids that looks like this in c#:
static void Main(string[] args) {
 Console.WriteLine("Hashing : {0}", args[0]);
 Console.WriteLine("Hashed  : {0}", FormsAuthentication.HashPasswordForStoringInConfigFile(args[0], "SHA1"));
}

If you take the list of leaked hashes, and hash the password "footba!!" (93214AAA02F99EC127A698836B33337EF7C8BB2C),
then search the text file for that hash, you will find it.  Someone used the password "footba!!" in linkedin.

It's simple to start off with "a", hash that, and then move to "b" and continue all the way down to "abc[ect]" building
a huge table of pre-hashed passwords.