Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: data level entitlements

From: Vic Vandal <vvandal () well com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2012 15:08:40 -0700 (PDT)

Your question is a bit vague.  My interpretation of that term would be that you want to know about recording and
tracking access approvals at the data level.  For example, an auditor asks to show evidence that access to a certain
set of sensitive data was duly authorized, and that the data access is restricted to only those who have the documented
authorization.  Who is entitled to access the data, who granted them that entitlement, when was it granted, is the
access still valid, etc.

If that's what you mean, are you asking about references/links to commercial or open source apps to provide that sort
of authorization tracking and reporting?
Most standard helpdesk ticketing systems can provide that view.  Someone requests access to some specific sensitive
data, someone approves the access, and someone grants the access.  All of that information should be in the ticketing
system, and then be available for reporting purposes as needed.

If you need recurring (monthly/quarterly/annually) authorizations, there are some applications that can provide that
sort of tracking and approval management.  I can't recommend any specific ones because I haven't used them personally.
We use a home-grown system for that purpose where I work.

-Vic