Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: mcafee DDOS solution

From: "Yannick Chanoine" <ychanoine () interdata fr>
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2012 13:39:20 +0200

These tools are proposed to companies in order to give information on botnet
propagation, outgoing spam or, as you say, outgoing DDoS
Regarding DDos the only approach (IMHO) is to filter or shape on the ISP's
backbones or peering points, where bandwidth is not a matter.
If you filter suspicious traffic in places where bandwidth is not a problem,
then you "solve" the problem.

Back to your example, you can avoid the traffic jam by :
- filtering the hooligans right out the stadium (outgoing DDoS filtered at
the company or individual access point); --> financial and technical
problems will seriously limit this option
- filtering and shaping traffic on the highway (left lane for actual
customers, middle lane for neighborhood, right lane for tourists, toll for
hooligans...).

Regards,

Yannick