Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Managing Network bandwidth

From: Todd Hughes <thughes () xdefenders com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2012 12:42:51 -0500

ntop

Peter Odigie wrote:
Hi all!

In my organization, we have had to upgrade our internet bandwidth two
times last year 2011. The same happened the first and second time,
after upgrading the connection became quite fast but this lasted for
just a few weeks and it started dragging again! Our thoughts are in
two main direction.

1. Maybe the ISP is not telling us the truth, maybe they are not
really giving us what we are paying for. Is there a way we can
verify/monitor the bandwidth we are receiving from the ISP? The
solution can be on either Windows or Linux platform

2. Maybe with more bandwidth are staffs are downloading more stuffs -
non office related stuffs. We had a bandwidth manager some time ago
but I will not like to get that one up again because it was not
transparent - people had to logon before being able to use the
internet. I will like one that can seamlessly manage the network
bandwidth for each person/department without demanding people to
login. Again, the solution can be on either Windows or Linux platform.

--
Todd Hughes
Senior Security Analyst

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how
it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase,
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1