Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: USB Flash Drives

From: "Mason, Samuel" <SMason () mt gov>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2012 17:48:47 +0000

The solution we use partners with our full-disc encryption software for easier management. It's password protected but
unlike others (based on what one commenter said) does not require admin rights to run, just an exception to our
enforced USB restriction and software restriction policies.

Having said all that I don't know what your budget is like and these devices are not free. Since we disable USB mass
storage on most systems we can purchase a smaller number of devices for those with exceptions and be better covered.
The centralized management allows for better password control as well.

Samuel Mason, CISSP

Hi Everyone,

I am curious how everyone is protecting their USB Flash Drives from
getting lost or stolen?   I see a plethora of products out there, but
not sure which are the best to go with.   All our USB devices need to
be encrypted and password protected.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

-Charles

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how
it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase,
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1