Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: 2 Tier vs 3 Tier

From: Vic Vandal <vvandal () well com>
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2012 10:25:56 -0800 (PST)

In today's world you can implement 2-3 filtered tiers using a single firewall, as many of them support much more than
two network interfaces and they support traffic filtering on each interface.  So you can allow only web (HTTP/HTTPS)
traffic into the web tier, then only allow the web tier to run application-specific traffic into the app tier, and then
only allow the app tier to run DB-specific traffic into the DB tier.  When I use the term 'single firewall' I kinda
mean a fault-tolerant, load-balanced pair, at minimum.  Hacks and everything else aside, if you only have one hardware
firewall and it has some hardware problem then your tiers of servers will basically be out of commission while you
scramble to get new hardware and a new firewall built.

I can't really speak to any security benefits of a 2-tier architecture over a 3-tier architecture, and could only make
that 2-tier argument over a completely flat architecture where everything runs on the same box or the same network
segment.
Well, I can offer you one weak argument.  You can always make the case that it will be easier to keep a single box
patched and hardened than multiple boxes in split tiers, which will also save your organization money on hardware and
sys-admin maintenance costs.

I did a pen-test on a vendor one time where they ran the app and DB tiers on a single system behind a firewall (it
wasn't HTTP-based).  They thought their implementation was secure and that no one could break out of the app and into
the DB.  They were very, very wrong.  Of course you can have an insecure multi-tier architecture that allows the same
level of exploitation across multiple hosts, but there are a lot of benefits to keeping the tiers physically and
logically separate.  I'm just saying.

As for compensating controls do some basic traffic filtering at your Internet-facing router.  You can drop/blackhole a
lot of junk traffic there.  Harden each tier, both from an OS and application viewpoint.  Keep everything patched
(network devices, operating systems, applications, etc.).  Scan your servers for security compliance, and scan your web
apps for code vulnerabilities.  Implement both HIDS and N-IPS, if you can.  Network-based IPS can knock down a lot of
attacks that make it past your screening router.

You mentioned host-based firewalls, and I'd advise to stay away from them unless you're talking about running firewall
software on dedicated hardware.  Running your firewall on the same box(es) as your web app isn't advisable.  Suppose
you have a vulnerability in your web app and someone sends it a string command (a la xp_cmdshell for example) that
shuts off the firewall?  Then you're running wide open.  WAFs are in style now, and they have some benefit.  But you
can accomplish the same thing with a standard firewall and IPS device, if using a decent IPS product.

Sorry there's not much detail above.  I'm pressed for time so that's just some brief thoughts to consider.  What I
forgot to ask or mention up front that your security control requirements should be somewhat based on the value of
information, time, reputation, etc. that might be lost if your system(s) is compromised.  I know nothing about your
specific goal, and you could be talking about running your own personal system to get you remote access to some
generally value-less data of your own (your personal calendar, web bookmarks, etc.).  But since you said "we are
building" I assume you are asking as a representative of your employer, and that there might be more at stake.

Peace,
Vic