Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: [Full-disclosure] DNS bind attacks

From: Chris Granger <chrisgrangerx () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2012 13:17:21 -0500

Your theory's likely correct - do you allow external IPs to make recursive queries to your server?

From (this would be a way to corroborate & I can't say it any better):
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/nanog/users/143319

"The isc.org record is commonly used in reflection attacks because the size of the record is so large, so the
amplification factor is greatly increased. Can you check to see if +edns=0 was set in the query? That would be a sure
sign this is related... "

Sent from my iPhone