Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: How to review and report an utm box

From: Byte <byte2binary () live com>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2012 20:43:31 +0530

UTM Box is a Hoax, It is just a firewall with some additional feature sets.
Anyway since you need to evaluate the UTM box, You have not mentioned your
use case. Do you intend to use it primary for packet filtering, NAT
Implementation, as a Perimeter firewall or as an Application level firewall.

I guess your answer will be all of the above. In this situation here are
couple of recommendations that would get most out of your evaluation:

1. Check What is the HW and Software 'inside' the box.
2. Develop the following use cases:
        a) Send yourself some massive traffic through WAN simulators and
Packet generators and monitor the performance.
        b) Send Malicious traffic to your UTM device including but not
limited to:
                i) Malware (Viruses, Trojans etc.)
                ii) Spam
                iii) Check and view the performance against reconnaissance
attacks such as NMAP scans, etc.
        c) Evaluate the TCP Error rate that it might generate. More errors
means more dropped packets which translates to crappy performance.
        d) Check and See if it has the capacity to detect probes and respond
to them by either dropping connections or delaying the attack. It also needs
to log those                    attempts.
        e) Honestly fire up your imagination and see more use cases that you
can develop. I don't think you will get a toolkit or anything like that to
evaluate the UTM.
3. Check the reporting capability of the UTM. See if it can send SNMP3
Alerts, Syslogs etc. in an orderly manner. And they need to be accurate.
Check the logging engines       that it supports.
4. Check and verify the support that the UTM vendor provides you. This often
becomes most critical when you have to troubleshoot it at midnight and
nobody is home.         Symantec and McAfee don't really believe in customer
is the king :)

Have fun,

Byte