Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Disabling IPS for PENTEST

From: RobOEM <rd.seclists () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2012 19:01:04 +0200

Hi,

I'll be a little more nuanced than all the other contributors.

If you understand the goal of the pentest is to help you identify the
vulns in your application, then please, by all means, disable your
IDS. If anything, IDS is just an annoyance to an auditor, because he
will see vuls he can't exploit. Also, if you were to turn it off (and
you know production/business reasons will make you turn it off should
they arise), of if your IDS were to have a vuln (fragmented packets,
IPv6 inexistent support, whatever) they would be exploitable.

That is, IF the goal is to help you identify the problems AND you have
ways and means to fix it.

On the other hand, if the goal of the pentest is to show corporate how
lame you are, and how easily your app can be breached, then don't turn
it off. Although getting thouroughly pwned can be a way for a smart
manager to obtain money to do things right.

To answer you original question, I have found in my practice it IS a
common practice to turn "active defenses" like IPSes off for auditors.
Even more so if your IPS blacklists offending IPs for some time. This
is just stupid to do this to an auditor who has, as opposed to a
dedicated attacker, limited time to do the job.

Rob'