Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Password assessment methodology

From: Mike S <mikeofmany () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2012 07:58:34 -0700

Don't forget comparison checks of the hashes if there is anything in
the policy about not reusing passwords. Especially between different
accounts like admin level versus daily.

On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 5:35 AM, akshar kanak <akshar.kanak1 () gmail com> wrote:
Hi
  I am not an expert in pentesting , i am just giving my suggestion
and i am not sure to waht extent it might be applicable .  you can try
to crack the passwords using the tools like "ophcrack"  for windows
and "john the ripper "  for linux to check for the strength of the
password . An internal survey can be conducted to check  for the
length of the password , special chars used  by the people while they
are creating any password .

you can request the people  to create dummy password and then you can
try to break it .
it will give you an insight into how people choose their password .

thanks and regards
Akshar