Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: unknown IP delivering DHCP

From: Don Thomas <don.thomasjacob () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 19:17:23 +0530

I am not an expert in this, but will something like this work:
http://www.manageengine.com/products/oputils/switch-port-mapper.html#switch-port-mapper

There is a 15 day trial for this tool and so you do not have to
purchase the product.

-
Don

On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 3:18 PM, Dirty Mortain <dirtymortain () gmail com> wrote:

Hello.

In my LAN I'm using the network 192.0.0.0/24 with a DHCP (192.0.0.14)
delivering for the entire LAN through 3 smart switches.
Yesterday I found a machine which have received 192.168.2.3 as DNS
server by the DHCP, in 192.0.0.14 there is no configuration pointing
to this so I tried to find that machine.
It looks like a Linux 2.4 box which had 80 open with HTTP
authentication (default admin/admin but changed) and DHCP open which
only delivers DNS (overwrites 192.0.0.14, it always reply after it).
Since switches are "smart" (not that smart indeed) I have no
configuration interface where I could create a VLAN and/or block that
MAC. Because it is a broadcast I cannot block it on the firewall
(since it doesn't pass through it) what can I do to both know which
machine is it (a smart and humanized machine) and block it?

Thanks.

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL
certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how it benefits your company and how
your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test,
purchase, install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web
server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are highlighted to help you
ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital
certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1