Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: [OWASP-Security101] uniquely identifing USB device

From: Dave Hylands <dhylands () mozilla com>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2012 23:50:15 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Erki,

I need to identify a usb stick uniquely and I have been trying to
find out weather using just hardwareID is enough?
I have heard of a driver that lets you emulate an usb device and set
that ID, but quick googleing didn’t give any results. Does anybody
know of something like that? Is it possible to (for someone with
mediocre hacking skills) to manipulate with these values? Is there a
better way to uniquely identify that device?

So here's a page that uses a readily available HW device to spoof VID and PID, and presumably with some minor changes
you could spoof any of the other fields as well.
http://seclists.org/pauldotcom/2010/q3/111

USB devices are supposed to have unique serial numbers, but not every device has a unique VID/PID/serial (i.e.not all
manufacturers actually follow this, and you wind up with devices that are not unique.

Also, devices for allowing say an SD card to be used in a USB slot won't necessarily present a unique serial number for
different MMC cards.

What are you trying to do?

Dave Hylands

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how
it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase,
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1