Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: PCI DSS Scanners

From: Bill Montgomery <Bill.Montgomery () cadre net>
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2012 20:43:04 +0000

I agree with Chelsea Budkzo and would like to expand on that sentiment.

For more info on PCI-DSS, just go to the website of the PCI Security Standards Council at
https://www.pcisecuritystandards.org/index.php.

PCI-DSS is a rather large segment of the security market. The website will have documentation, templates, and anything
else you could ever want to know about "doing a PCI DSS scan".

There are legal responsibilities, certifications, and fines associated with incorrectly navigating these waters. Make
sure you know what you're doing and how well it matches up with what your client needs, or what they've been told by
their bank that they need.

There are a variety of tools that can be used for assessing PCI-DSS compliance - it depends on what part of the PCI-DSS
you're evaluating. Secure use of payment card data encompasses everything from rogue wireless detection to firewall
configs; from physical security to encryption keys. There is no "suite" type tool that does everything.

Usually when the moniker "PCI-DSS scan" is heard is in reference to the quarterly external vulnerability scan. These
are commonly known as ASV scans due to the requirement that they be performed by an Approved Scanning Vendor. There are
a number of these listed on the PCI website and the scans are priced pretty reasonably. Some of them are on-line. Just
buy one and tell it what to scan.

Again, the PCI site will have all the legit info.

Bill Montgomery
PCI-DSS QSA
Cadre Information Security
Cincinnati, OH