Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Auditing & Reporting Access to Files on File Server

From: krymson () gmail com
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2011 14:02:20 GMT

Be careful when looking at File Integrity Monitor (FIM) solutions for access auditing problems. FIMs are great about
alerting when something/someone changes a file that shouldn't be changed, but that's a far cry from accurately auditing
regularly accessed files where you want to make sure you know who accessed them and whether they should be accessing
them.

DLP is more appropriate than FIM, in this regard. Or something specifically involved with file access auditing.

Also keep in mind a Windows environment doesn't do this well at all, even with auditing turned up. Real solutions are
going to be forced to extend the OS/file system capabilities in order to give you the visibility you want. So things
like a NAS or disparate shares can be challenging...

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how
it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase,
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1