Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Intro to Network Security

From: Jeff Stebelton <jeff.stebelton () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2011 15:30:30 -0400

What area of network security? Since you said "network", not
"information", I'm assuming you're looking at IDS/Routers/Firewalls
and intrusion analysis, log management,etc. Am I close to the mark? If
you're interested in doing intrusion analysis, I'd recommend "Network
Intrusion Detection" by Stephen Northcutt and Judy Novak, "Intrusion
Signatures and Analysis" by Northcutt and others, and seeing if you
can find a copy of "TCP/IP Illustrated Volume I" by W. Richard
Stevens, for not too much money (used, maybe) as a reference you'll
need as you start to learn to dissect packets. I have a blog that I
gear towards newcomers to network security. It's at
jeffsoh.blogspot.com. If nothing else, you'll find references to a lot
of NetSec tools on there, even if my writing isn't anything ground
breaking or new. =-)