Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Re[2]: computer with rootkit?

From: "Jamie Ivanov" <jamie.ivanov () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2011 17:47:59 +0000

I never said they came alone, don't twist my words. I didn't feel like giving a whole history or breakdown on malicious
software.

My point on combofix, like the others, should not be trusted in a hot and infected system. I've seen combofix miss
major infections. A great product yes. Nothing what I said was comprehensive so quit treating it as such.

As far as downtime, I'm well aware. Fixing a rootkit and analyzing the registry can be done in a half hour or less and
a system can be returned to production status. Rebuilding a system can take hours from the image deployment or RIS to
updates to policies to deployed software. I'm used to working in large corporate environments. I'm well aware of all of
this.

I don't underestimate them, I admire them. Which is why I've spent my time on the other side of field and reverse
engineer these infections. They are beautiful but once you understand how they work in an operating system, its simply
no longer a big deal and rather easy to remove.
Jamie Ivanov / KC9LFD
m.608.399.4252
Blackberry: 32DD619E
http://www.linkedin.com/in/jamieivanov
This transmission (including any attachments) may contain confidential information, privileged material (including
material protected by the solicitor-client or other applicable privileges), or constitute non-public information. Any
use of this information by anyone other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you have received this
transmission in error, please immediately reply to the sender and delete this information from your system. Use,
dissemination, distribution, or reproduction of this transmission by unintended recipients is not authorized and may be
unlawful.

Sent from my BlackBerry