Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Question on root credentials for scanning

From: AK <platsakos () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2011 02:29:41 +0300

Hi,

scanning what with what? If you are referring to nmap, stick to non-root
scanning for the time being :-)

On 09/22/2011 06:59 PM, Shobana Narayanaswamy wrote:
Hi:

I am a newbie to security and scanning. Here is my question:

Do you generally need root credentials in order for the scan to
produce detailed results? When I run a scan without root credentials,
it comes up very little info. However, when I supply
root credentials, I get several useful reports. It appears that the
scanner detects the OS version and other s/w component versions only
if it is provided root access.

Thanks

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an
SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how it benefits your
company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will
find out how to test, purchase, install and use a thawte Digital
Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for
set-up are highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management
of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1

--
What is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?