Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: does any program to monitor files on a linux shared host?

From: Todd Haverkos <infosec () haverkos com>
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2011 10:20:01 -0500

Ali Asghar Toraby Parizy <aliasghar.toraby () gmail com> writes:
Hi
I have a site that is performed on linux server
(www.inmotionhosting.com) . The only tool that I can use is cpanel,
because it is a shared host.
I'm going to find a program to monitor files in shared host? I don't
know what is the name of the such program. But I'm looking for a
program like SIEM for shared http servers. I want know wich file is
accessed without sufficient authorizations. does exsit any program to
do this on a linux shared host?
Who can help me?

Tripwire is the usual file integrity monitoring subset of host
intrusion detection systems.   However, you won't be able to run it on
a shared host.

VPS are cheap enough that you might consider moving in that
direction.

Or if you can do periodic scp or sftp mirroring of all your files down
to any ole linux host,  you could run tripwire on that mirrored
directory perhaps and ignore timestamp only changes or some such?

Caveat:  I haven't done this--just thinking out loud unless others are
aware of better solutions for doing file integrity monitoring in a
shared hosting environment.

--
Todd Haverkos, LPT MsCompE
http://haverkos.com/

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how
it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase,
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1