Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: password audit help

From: Nikhil Wagholikar <visitnikhil () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 14 May 2011 13:09:48 +0530

Dear Jude,

Every security standard in IT today includes a requirement for "Strong
Passwords". The very common standard of all, ISO 27001:2005, controls
11.3.1 and 11.5.3 mentions the use of quality passwords. This should
be enough for getting approval from management for conducting password
audits.

1. To further strong your case for getting management approvals for
conducting password audits is - even if Administrators set strong
password policy on OS/systems, still passwords like 'Password@123',
'admin#4321', 'myorgname123' also fit the strong password criteria,
however in actual, they are not really difficult to crack/discover by
hackers using simple tools freely available on Internet.

2. As I mentioned, there are lot of free tools available on Internet.
Few of them which I tried and gave best results were 'John the Ripper'
and 'Ophcrack'. More Info:

John the Ripper: http://www.openwall.com/john/
Ophcrack: http://ophcrack.sourceforge.net/

There are lot more tools out there on Internet for password cracking.

3. The best way to report your finding is by achieving your objective
of password audit. Possible suggestions could be:

a. Try highlighting weak passwords of OS/Network device administrators
first, since they are the privileged users and have unlimited access
on various systems within the organization.

b. Highlighting weak passwords of higher management, since data on
their workstations/laptops/system or on Fileserver is more
confidential and sensitive.

c. Highlighting weak passwords of normal users, who are using day to
day data of organization for further processing.

Hope this helps!

Regards,
---
Nikhil Wagholikar