Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: How do you conduct a password audit?

From: Edd Burgess <edd.burgess () cantab net>
Date: Fri, 13 May 2011 16:13:51 +0100

I have seen an automatic audit setup on a linux server before as a cron job; just running john the ripper against the shadow file once a week and storing any weak results so the sysadmin can contact the relative users.

In other words, if you are worried about broaching the subject with management, try to crack the passwords yourself - In my experience, non-techs are more convinced by actual evidence; 'I managed to crack your password in 3mins' than any amount of advice/information you can throw at them. I had to actually ARP poison my boss and sniff an FTP password to convince him to let me secure our office wifi!