Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Building a career in vulnerability detection/assessment, penetrating testing and forensics

From: psiinon <psiinon () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 3 May 2011 16:54:04 +0100

Hi Madhur,

If you want to perform any penetration testing on web applications
then you'll need to use an intercepting proxy.
There are some excellent ones like WebScarab and Burp.
However I'd recommend that you start with the OWASP Zed Attack Proxy:
http://www.owasp.org/index.php/OWASP_Zed_Attack_Proxy_Project as its
designed to be a bit friendlier to people new to pen testing.
But I am biased as I'm the project lead ;)

Then the best thing to do is get your hand dirty trying to break
vulnerable web apps.
Theres a good list of those here:
http://securitythoughts.wordpress.com/2010/03/22/vulnerable-web-applications-for-learning/

Psiinon