Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: IT Manager to CISO

From: Bob Radvanovsky <rsradvan () unixworks net>
Date: Mon, 02 May 2011 11:43:40 -0500

See comments below...

-r

----- Original Message -----
From: "Sanchez, Gabriel" [mailto:gabriel.sanchez () secoenergy com]
To: 'Jeremi Gosney' [mailto:Jeremi.Gosney () motricity com], Jonathan Younie [mailto:jonnyp4lsec () gmail com],
olufemimogaji () gmail com
Cc: security-basics () securityfocus com
Subject: RE: IT Manager to CISO

Well respected or not CISSP continues to be what many companies look for to
even get an interview.

** This is because many individuals who are responsible for hiring IT and IT/information security professionals at
these companies/organizations are considered 'non-technical', and this represents the closest thing to matching a
qualification on their checklist.  The reason why the CISSP continues its popularity is because it is one of the
longest running information security certifications to date.

Sure if your only book smart you will not last long
anywhere.

** This goes even with any certification, too.

However being able to show that you are able to obtain the CISSP
and have a high level view of many concepts along with hands on experience
goes a long way.

** Maybe...or maybe not.  I have been in IT for over 30 years, IT/information security over 20, and critical
infrastructure over 12.  I come from the 'old school' method of computer science and information systems management -
formal education (such as a college or university).  One of the things that I have noticed over the years is that IT
moves quickly - very, very quickly - so formal education may not be an option as by the time you've learned what you
needed to learn, is already out-of-date at graduation time.

** A certification, on the other hand, tends to be reflective of the current technology, architecture and software that
you are verifying that you know.  As far as I am concerned, both methods are flawed in today's IT and IT/information
security industries for a few reasons: (1) formal educational institutions still continue having difficulties adapting
to newer technologies in a relatively quick period - some are doing better than others - but overall, most formal
education institutions are struggling; (2) certifications (IMHO) do not demonstrate ones knowledge on something, but
that you can merely take a test.  I don't care how many people may say that I am wrong, by the time you've taken your
certification, and a year (or two, or three) have lapsed, you won't know the material nearly as much, or as well as you
might have thought you did.

Respected or not many CISSP's are making very good money
and many respected people I know in the SAN's staff even have this
certification.

** Many certified professionals do tend to make 30% (or more) than those who were not certified.  There have been
studies conducted in recent years about this very topic (and I do believe that SANS did conduct a similar
study/investigation on this very subject).

** However, many industry leaders of today have a certification because it has become the norm.

Putting a black mark on someone's resume based purely on
having CISSP on it is ridiculous.

** Here's my attitude on many things in today: certifications (IMHO) apply only if you're looking for work.  If I were
a hiring manager, and had several candidates, I would consider certified-only individuals, provided that they could
demonstrate to me their knowledge in whatever area I was looking to hire a capable individual.

** Certifications aren't bad...but they're not good, either.  Like anything else, they're a 'tool', and depending on
how they're implemented and used, can be very useful, esp. for individuals who might not have a formal education.