Security Basics mailing list archives

Asset management, laptops as kiosks

From: forest.monsen () gmail com
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2011 17:58:16 GMT

I'm working with a group that has set aside essentially no budget for security, or even for a new laptop at this point.

They do have several Windows 7 laptops. They want to use them both as reduced-capability or locked-down "kiosks" at
conferences (usually
locked in a cabinet, but with external monitor/mouse/keyboard attached, so hardware ports are not accessible), and also
let the staff use them with full capabilities to work when traveling (they may need to update the browser, et cetera).

The organization does already have an Active Directory server setup to authenticate folks when they're working inside
their firewall, but at conferences, when they need the "kiosk-style" functionality, they might not have reliable
Internet access. So it sounds like they need accounts on the local machine.

Without having their staff memorize new passwords -- one for each laptop's local account in addition to their Active
Directory-managed password -- what's a good way for them to use these as dual-purpose machines?

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how
it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase,
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1