Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: GRE Tunnels without IPSEC risks.

From: "David Gillett" <gillettdavid () fhda edu>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2011 12:49:20 -0700

   The link between the Aruba controller and the VPN server should probably
be within the head-office datacenter, so if people are sniffing that, you
have much bigger problems.  The link between the VPN client end and the AP
should also be short and of limited access, but that data is also wirelessly
sniffable off the AP.  So if you care, you implement WPA/WPA2 on your
wireless -- and if I understand correctly, on Aruba that encryption goes all
the way back to the controller.

  If you implement WPA/WPA2, you don't need IPSEC.  If you believe you need
IPSEC, you really need WPA/WPA2.

David Gillett