Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: MAC Spoofing Prevention in Wireless

From: Enis Sahin <enis.c.sahin () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2011 10:09:09 +0300

Well I can confidently say that it somehow understands a cloned MAC
address and disallowes you. I tried it with my two laptops.

The scenario was this. I had an authenticated Windows box and an
unauthenticated Linux box. I've statically assigned the IP address of
the Winbox to the Linux box. Also cloned the MAC address. Then joined
the Wireless with the Linux box while Windows was already logged in an
immediately dropped the Windows box from the network. The Linux box
was unable to reach the network resources.

I also tried dropping the authenticated Windows box and immediately
joining the network with the Linux box using the cloned addresses,
again it was no good.

I did some reading on it and I guess it has something to do with the
sequence numbers of the packets each station is sending..