Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: How to Start With InfoSec ???

From: Vedantam Sekhar <vedantamsekhar () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 09:43:27 +0530

To start a career in  InFormation security you need to have OS skills
and basics of networking and so on..which you already acquired....
now,. it is  something that you need to decide which path in infosec
you want take...
Since you are a fresher, to get directly a job in infosec, i think you
have to do some certifications.

1. If, you want go to VA/PT..you probably look at doing CEH or similar
kind of courses.
2. If you want  to get into security architecture design and
implementation...you may look at CCSA or similar kind of courses.
3. If you have programming skills and interested in Application Risk
assessment& SDLC...you probably can look at owasp(i think they also
got some certifications..)
4. SOC/Cert(Incident response teams and management)...you should have
understanding about the SEIM tools/vulnerability monitoring
systems....etc.

Hope it helps...

Sekhar