Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Finding which programme started an outgoing connection

From: mcsegold () gmail com
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2011 23:22:15 +0000

Hi folks,
Fport does a better job of showing the processes and their ports in use. However most antivirus products bark at it. If
it's a machine you administratively control, try it. If not, the previous reply to use netstat -ano and then use
taskmgr or tasklist to identify the process is good.

I would recommend using process explorer by sysinternals to find the actual location of the exe on the hard disk. I use
this instead of task manager. Use the add columns option to pick "image path" and you'll see the actual location of
every exe or service running. It's great.