Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: CISCO MD5 encryption

From: krymson () gmail com
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 07:49:35 -0700

Ok...

1- MD5 is considered insecure and you can create collisions. (This doesn't mean it's suddenly obsolete, but there *is*
weakness.)

2- Cisco utilizes MD5 hashing to store passwords in configs.

The problem here is I haven't seen anyone draw the lines between the weakness in MD5 and how it matters to Cisco's
usage of it.

Just because you see "MD5" in a statement doesn't mean you can just drop the "don't use, it you're dumb" response.
Proper security needs more thought than that.

Props to those responses who are knowledgable about the Cisco usage of MD5 and how that relates to the OP's question on
rainbow tables and how susceptible it may be.

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how
it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase,
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1