Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: interpreting pfsense(ntop) on wan

From: "J. von Balzac" <jhm.balzac () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2011 01:09:05 +0100

I just read this back, maybe I should clarify myself.

I was talking about interpreting ntop that runs in the pfsense environment.

An example using RFC 5737 "fictitious" addresses) :

* IP of the pfsense box is 198.51.100.37/24. This box is connected to
a "hostile" /24 subnet together with other customers of my ISP. I see
their ARP packets and other stuff; netbios, smb, STP, ...

* Ntop has enabled promiscuous mode on the WAN interface. In Summary
-> hosts I see the IP 203.0.113.25, obviously not on my subnet. When I
click that IP and scroll down to Last contacted peers, I see no IP
that belongs to myself but one that is in my subnet, e.g.
198.51.100.123. Kind of like this:

Packet Statistics
TCP Connections Attempted: 10; directed to: 198.51.100.123 and
198.51.100.210; rcvd from: 0
TCP Connections Established: 4 [40%]; directed to: 198.51.100.123 and
198.51.100.210, rcvd from: 0
TCP Flags: SYN; pkts sent: 10 198.51.100.123 and 198.51.100.210, pkts rcvd: 0

Last contacted peers:
Sent to 198.51.100.123
Sent to 198.51.100.210
Total Contacts  3  <- 3?

So how does one interpret this? I'm at a loss. It looks like these two
hosts are sending packets via me. Or is 203.0.113.25 sending packets
to those other hosts via me?

By the way, this all occurs even after I have added a filter to the
WAN port of pfsense: "if source and dest are not my IPs then block
it".

Please help me understand this and maybe even fix the problem, if there is one.

Thanks,
Jan