Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Minimum Syslog Level Needed for Court Trial

From: John Morrison <john.morrison101 () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2011 20:37:11 +0000

Thanks, Vic. That is a very handy starting point.

John

On 12 December 2011 18:01, Vic Vandal <vvandal () well com> wrote:
There was an old 2006 SANS article/paper titled "The Log Management Industry: An Untapped Market" that discussed
regulatory requirements, forensics, etc.  It's something like 20 pages long but can easily be scanned for the good
parts.  I still have a local copy from when we were looking at centralized log archival from a variety of
heterogeneous device/system types back then.

We are archiving logs to a central location in real-time.  The log collector and its feeder agents encrypt the system
logs in transit, and the collector hashes the logs to prevent tampering.  I'd rather not give commercial product
names in an open email list as not to endorse any specific ones.  But there are also some open source products that
can provide similar features.  Just do a web search and you'll find them.

Peace,
Vic