Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: monitor the log for nmap activities

From: Security Auditor <auditor.sec () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2011 10:23:23 +0200

If you wanna test the nmap scan from outside and you are performing it
from the same box, then you can have a look at the
http://nmap-online.com. This will do a scan from internet to your public IP.

cheers

On Sat, Aug 13, 2011 at 6:44 AM, John Hunter <johnny.h.hunter () gmail com> wrote:
Hello all:

I am using nmap to hit my home Linux server for testing. Now I have
two questions:

1. Supposed my Linux server's name is "HappyHome", I can do "namp
HappyHome" inside my home network, or I can do "nmap
HappyHome.XXXXX.com", while "HappyHome.XXXXX.com is the domain name I
registered for my home server. In the latter case, is it the same like
attacking from outside internet? Even though I actually perform the
tests from the same machine in my home network?

2. How can I find the logging info from the home Linux? I guess if I
tried stealthy option "-sS", the hit might have evaded the detection,
but when I used "-sT", I still can't find any trace from
/var/log/messages or /var/log/syslog, if I barked at the wrong tree,
where else should I look?

Thanks a lot, folks!

John

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works,
how it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test,
purchase, install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for
set-up are highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital
certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1

--
Cheers,