Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Question on appliances that do "decryption" of SSL

From: "David Gillett" <gillettdavid () fhda edu>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2011 12:06:34 -0700

  Usually the device is a proxy -- the client connects to the device, and
the device to the server on the client's behalf.  Obviously the device needs
to offer the client a trusted certificate with a public key for which the
device itself has the private key.

  Yes, you can break this by removing your browser's trust of the device's
certificate signature.  But typically that does NOT mean that you get an
encrypted session that the box can't decrypt -- it means you get NO
connection.

Moral:  If you don't want your employer to be able to see what you are
doing, don't use their equipment/network to do it.

David Gillett