Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: unable to access www.quibids.com

From: Jeffrey Walton <noloader () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 17:18:53 -0400

I'm not able to access www.quibids.com from 80.235.40.0/23 network.
ICMP works fine:
Perhaps Estonia has the site blocked. In the US, there's been some
chatter that the site is closer to gambling than auction. Some
Attroney Generals have taken notice.

http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&hl=en&source=hp&q=quibids+gambling+%22attorney+general%22

Jeff

On Sun, Apr 17, 2011 at 8:22 AM, Martin T <m4rtntns () gmail com> wrote:
Hi,
I'm not able to access www.quibids.com from 80.235.40.0/23 network.
ICMP works fine:

# ping -qc10 www.quibids.com
PING www.quibids.com (98.188.122.9) 56(84) bytes of data.

--- www.quibids.com ping statistics ---
10 packets transmitted, 10 received, 0% packet loss, time 9008ms
#

..but SYN packet to www.quibids.com:80..

SENT (0.3280s) TCP 192.168.1.65:38459 > 98.188.122.19:80 S ttl=58
id=32424 iplen=44  seq=3577373933 win=3072 <mss 1460>

..does not receive SYN+ACK. If I try to open www.quibids.com in Fx, I
get the "The connection has timed out" error. However, if I use
http://www.t1shopper.com/tools/port-scan/ tool, port 80 is open and if
I google for "cache:http://www.quibids.com/";, the Google cache gets
updated so the page needs to be accessible at least from some
networks. Is it somehow possible to detect, whether the traffic to
port 80 gets filtered by the quibids.com or somewhere along the path?
In other words how to trace out the exact machine, which drops the SYN
packet to port 80?

regards,
martin

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how
it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase,
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1